Monday, November 19, 2012

Review of Warren Miller's Flow State

It had been four (okay, more like eight) years since I had seen a Warren Miller movie in the theatre, but last Wednesday my ski house friends and I revived an old tradition and trekked to Somerville to see Warren Miller's Flow State.  I have two things to report:

1) The Somerville Theatre now serves beer.
2) See Flow State - in the theatre if you can.

I should note that I did not have a beer at the theatre, so #2 is not a response to #1.  You know how Warren Miller movies go - sometimes there is too much snowboarding, too many "funny" segments, too much blatant advertising (cue the painful 1990s installations that featured Nissan SUVs all too prominently).  The only complaint I have about Flow State is:  where is Warren Miller?!

At dinner (at Pizzeria Posto, which is beyond worth visiting if you live in the Davis Square part of the world), one friend asked, "Warren Miller:  Dead or Alive?"   We all vigorously affirmed that Warren Miller is still living.  But then, Flow State without a single appearance or word from The Man.  Not even, "if you don't do it this year..."  No corny jokes.  No plugs for the private resort where he is ambassador.  Is he okay?  Is he skiing that amazing powder field that I expect to be waiting in Heaven if I ever make it there?

Unclear.  But what I can tell you is that Flow State has some fantastic footage, even better skiing, and pays great homage to the 10th Mountain Division.  Loved seeing pro skiers fall down on the 7 foot skis that the 10th Mtn division skied on day in and day out.  It reminded me of me on cross country skis - like a bag of elbows and knees falling all over the place just trying to turn or slow down on a slight incline.

My favorite parts of the movie by far were the scenes in Japan - tons of powder, trees at insane speeds - and in Murren, Switzerland.  If there is a more beautiful place on earth than the Alps, I should definitely see it.  And there was even tree skiing in the Swiss scenes - and it looked like you would expect - like Hansel and Gretel went skiing in a giant enchanted forest covered in thick, fluffy snow.

I now have to dream about skiing in Japan in a hundred inches of powder followed by sake and sushi...sort of like a trip to Aspen when my friends and I kept eating at the bar at Matsuhisu every night because we couldn't bear the thought of any other food while Nobu's sublime hamachi was available to us.

And now, back to reality.

The good news?  Sugarbush is open, and I am heading there this Friday.  The bad news?  I have a lot of work to do between now and then.  And even more to do afterward.  So my installments here might be spotty, but I'll do my best to include a review of hitting the slopes (or single open trail) right after Thanksgiving, and will write about my first ski instructor training classes, which I hope to attend this weekend.

I can't wait to be a ski student again!

In the mean time, see Flow State, and Think Snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment